Affiliation with the Institute

The Institute offers affiliation to eligible scholars from abroad under the category “Foreign Researcher” (外国人研究員) normally for periods of up to one year, renewable for a maximum of two years. This allows access to facilities in the Institute and across the University of Tokyo at large, such as libraries and classes in Japanese language, and, if available, shared office space in the Institute. Foreign Researchers may be established scholars at institutions around the world, post-doctoral scholars, or graduate students doing PhD research. People with Foreign Researcher status at the Institute are eligible to apply for a Cultural Activities visa to stay in Japan.

There is no formal procedure for applying for Foreign Researcher status. Interested scholars normally contact a professor at the Institute with similar research interests, and work out a research proposal for the period of affiliation. Funding opportunities are available for research in Japan; see the links below.

Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)