Profile and Academic CV
Professor, the University of Tokyo
（まつだ やすひろ）（MATSUDA, Yasuhiro）
Yasuhiro MATSUDA (1965- ) is a professor of international politics at the University of Tokyo, Institute for Advanced Studies on Asia. He received his Ph.D. in law from Graduate School of Law at Keio University in Tokyo. He spent sixteen years in the National Institute for Defense Studies (NIDS), Japan Defense Agency (later, Ministry of Defense), as an assistant and a senior research fellow. He moved to the Institute of Oriental Culture (later, Institute for Advanced Studies on Asia) of the University of Tokyo in 2008. He is specializing in political and diplomatic history of Asia, politics and foreign relations in the PRC and Taiwan, the Cross-Strait Relations, and Japan’s foreign and security policies. He was a member of the Council on Security and Defense Capability in the New Era, the advisory group of the Prime Minister in 2010. He is the winner of the seventh Yasuhiro Nakasone Award of Excellence in 2011. He has published numerous books and articles in Japanese, English and Chinese. His most recent publication in English is “Engagement and Hedging: Japan’s Strategy toward China,” SAIS Review, vol. XXXII, no. 2, Summer-Fall 2012.
Detailed CV in Japanese up (2015.10.2)
Name 松田 康博 （まつだ やすひろ）（MATSUDA, Yasuhiro）
Current Position Professor, Institute for Advanced Studies on Asia (name-changed from “Institute of Oriental Culture” in 2010), the University of Tokyo
Expertise Political and diplomatic history of Asia, politics and foreign relations in the PRC and Taiwan, the Cross-Strait Relations, and Japan’s foreign and security policies
- 1965 Being Born in Hokkaido
- 1988 B.A. (Literature), Department of Foreign Language, Reitaku University, Chiba-ken
- 1990 M.A. (International Studies), Graduate School of Area Studies, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Tokyo
- 1992 Assistant, the National Institute for Defense Studies (NIDS)
- 1994 Visiting Research Fellow, the Consulate-General of Japan in Hong Kong.
- 1997 Ph.D. Candidate (Law), Graduate School of Law, Keio University, Tokyo
- 1999 Concurrently hold the post of staff official, Office of Strategic Studies, Defense Policy Division, Bureau of Defense Policy, Japan Defense Agency
- 1999 Senior Research Fellow, NIDS
- 2003 Ph.D. (Law), Graduate School of Law, Keio University, Tokyo
- 2003 Concurrently hold the post of Assistant Counselor, Cabinet Secretariat (National Security Affairs and Crisis Management)
- 2007 Senior Research Fellow, NIDS
- 2008 Associate Professor, Institute of Oriental Culture, the University of Tokyo
- 2011-12 Professor, Institute of Oriental Culture, the University of Tokyo (On December,2011)
- 2012- Professor, The University of Tokyo Interfaculty Initiative in Information Studies (Concurrently held the post of Professor, Institute for Advanced Studies on Asia, the University of Tokyo)
- 2015 Professor, Institute of Oriental Culture, the University of Tokyo
Major Publications in English
- Satu P. Limaye and Yasuhiro Matsuda eds., Domestic Determinants and Security Policy-Making in East Asia, The National Institute for Defense Studies and Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies, Honolulu, 2002.
- “An Essay on China’s Military Diplomacy: Examination of Intentions in Foreign Strategy,” NIDS Security Reports, No. 7, December 2006.
- “Domestic Political Determinants of China’s External Behavior,” China’s Rise and Its Limitations: China at the Crossroads, Proceedings of the NIDS International Symposium on Security Affairs, Tokyo: National Institute for Defense Studies, 2007.
- “Japanese Assessments of China’s Military Development,” Asian Perspective, Vol. 31, No. 3, October 2007.
- “Security Relations between Japan and the PRC in the Post-Cold War Era,” Niklas Swanström and Ryosei Kokubun eds., Sino-Japanese Relations: The Need for Conflict Prevention and Management, Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008.
- “The Prospect of China Up to 2020: A View from Japan,” Derek J. Mitchell ed., Bridging Strategic Asia: The Rise of India in East Asia and the Implications for the U.S.-Japan Alliance, Washington, D.C.: Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), February, 2009.
- “Taiwan in the China-Japan-US Triangle,” Gerald Curtis, Ryosei Kokubun, and Wang Jisi eds., Getting the Triangle Straight: Managing China-Japan-US Relations, New York: Japan Center for International Exchange, 2010.
- “Taiwan’s Partisan Politics and Its Impact on U.S.-Taiwanese Relations,” The Journal of Social Science, Vol. 63, Nos. 3&4, December 2011.
- “Engagement and Hedging: Japan’s Strategy toward China,” SAIS Review, vol. XXXII, no. 2, Summer-Fall 2012, pp. 109-119.
- “Understanding Japan’s Strategy toward China,” Jung-Ho Bae and Jae H. Ku eds., China’s Domestic Politics and Foreign Policies and Major Countries’ Stategies toward China, Seol: Korea Institute for National Unification (KINU), 2012.
- “Japan-Taiwan Relations under DPJ and KMT Administrations in International Context,” “Summary and Conclusion: Japanese Papers,” in Ocean Policy Research Foundation and Prospect Foundation, Japan and Taiwan in a New Era: Possible Effects and Influences towards Its Relationship, Tokyo: Ocean Policy Research Foundation, 2013.