1.FORT；The fort on the hill and various buildings in the fort
Qutb Shahi power, which was based in Golconda, ended under Abul Hasan Tana Shah (reign 1672-87), the last sultan of the kingdom. By that time, the actual capital of the kingdom had been moved by the 4th sultan Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah to Bhagnagar at that time. Bhagnagar was named after his loving mistress Bhagmati, the Hyderabad. Under the reign of the 6th sultan Abdullah Qutb Shah, and Tana Shah, (who became sultan after his death), the 6th Emperor of the Mughalid made expeditions to Golconda and Hyderabad twice. Consequently, the previously solid fort/palace of the Golconda went to ruin.
The main fort of Golconda is constructed the northeastern area of the 8 km periphery of the fortress. Currently it is mostly in ruin, but one can still observe the features of the fort/palace that utilizes the natural bedrock. To the northeast of the large outside fort, there is an area, which was added in 1720. Its size is one fifth of the main fortress. It is sometimes called "new fortress". To the east of the Golconda fortress, there is a main fort built on a small hill. To the southeast, there is an area surrounded by a double fort, which still can be seen today. To the main fort of Golconda, named Barah Hisar or a large hill, one can go through Fateh Darwazah (meaning "the gate of victory") and continue straight on to the northeast. From the front gate(named Barah Hisar Darwazah), one can go inside the fort. This solid arch-shaped darwazah has battlements as well as a watch tower. Entering from a curved passage, one can go inside the fort only by passing through a large wooden door. It is very secure and well-designed. (Matsuo Ara)
Back to Golconda